Crayola to Introduce Four New Colors

Saturday October 11, 2003 5:16 AM

EASTON, Pa. (AP) - You won't find magic mint or blizzard blue in that Crayola crayon box anymore. Mulberry and teal blue are gone, too.

Taking their places: jazzberry jam, mango tango, inchworm and wild blue yonder.

The new colors are being added to replace the four that were retired as part of a competition to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the crayon company.

Crayola officials had selected five colors to be removed from their collection that they considered redundant or unattractive, but allowed one to be spared through an online vote.

Burnt sienna, one of the five, earned the most votes of the 60,000 cast, avoiding retirement.

``We've only retired crayon colors twice in our 100-year history,'' said Stacy Gabrielle, a Crayola spokeswoman. ``It's a heart-wrenching process because we grew up with many of these sentimental favorites, too.''

The four new colors, three of them named by children, are to be introduced Saturday at Crayola's birthday party.