-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Lowell R. Matthews
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 7:16 PM
To: The Sandbox Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Sndbox] Zipadee-Doo-Dah

Charles wrote:

> Of course not, it's offensive to coloreds.  We can't dare offend a
colored,
> we can only offend white folks and Christians.

And is it even really offensive to nonwhites?  I have not had the chance to
see the whole thing, but IIRC, the Uncle Remus (James Baskett)
character is a genuine hero.

Here's an IMDb comment from "Coolguy-7" worth passing along:

Date: 3 December 2000

This is my favorite Disney movie of all time. I especially love the animated
segments with Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and Brer Bear. I think
everyone should get the chance to see this classic film. Unfortunately, it
doesn't look like this movie will be making its debut on video
anytime soon in the U.S. Disney is afraid of getting complaints from
African-American do gooders. I mean, seriously, these people need to use
their common sense. This movie was made in 1946. Times have changed since
then and we don't use black caricatures in
films anymore. I watched this movie from beginning to end and the black
people in here are NOT being stereotyped. They have their own
personalities. Uncle Remus is the old man who tells wonderful stories
(notably the ones about Brer Rabbit) that the neighbors enjoy hearing
about. Toby is the mischievous little boy who was ordered to be Johnny's
playmate. To top it all off, they are portrayed by REAL
AFRICAN-AMERICANS, NOT WHITE PEOPLE WITH BLACK MAKE-UP ON THEIR FACES.
Slavery existed. It's a fact and you can't change the past. These do
gooders who complain to the Disney Company obviously have no lives at all
and need to GET A LIFE. This movie has been released on laserdisc, but
unfortunately that was only in Japan. It has been released on video, but
only in Europe, which uses the PAL system rather than the VHS system. I
hope that Disney becomes under new management soon. We need a person who
isn't afraid of those sleazy do-gooders. This way, there will be a good
chance that this wonderful classic will be released on video/DVD and aired
on television here in the United States. I just think it's pathetic
that a classic work of art such as this should be locked up in the vault.

---Lowell