Quentin: Uma Reminds Him of Trigger

Now, as for Keanu: He appeared yesterday at the Motion Picture Club luncheon for theatre bookers. He was on his way from Los Angeles to Sydney to launch "Revolutions." As the recipient of the MPC's Male Star of the Year, Keanu gave a gracious and funny speech after being introduced by Warner Bros.' Jeff Robinov.

"He saved my life [and] job with the Matrix trilogy," Robinov joked. "He's viciously cool ... and not a half-bad bass player. He bought Harley-Davidsons for the whole stunt team."

Reeves, sporting a short hair cut and looking quite trim and tall, was also entertaining.

"I wanted to be an actor when I was 15," he said. "I saw 78 films in one year. I had no life, but I had a dream life. ... To be a creative artist in show business ... rocks," he said. "When I'm speaking even to accountants, something in the business touches us."

Later, at the same luncheon, Quentin Tarantino said he noticed Uma Thurman's resemblance to Trigger. It was kind of a joke, and it didn't quite go over, but Tarantino worked his way out of it after informing the audience that in Japanese, "Uma" means horse.

"The Japanese consider this an insult, so they call her Yuma," he told us. "But the animal she is most like is a lion, in loyalty, pride and ferocity. You will see in 'Kill Bill: Vol. 2' that her path is not a kill-crazy rampage, but the ferocity of a mother being reunited with her child."