Healthy Islamo-skepticism

1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

President Bush is just plain wrong in pandering to Islam.

It's enough to make you sick.

Let me ask you a question: Do you think President Franklin Roosevelt held White House tributes to the Japanese after Pearl Harbor?

From my reading of history, Roosevelt locked up loyal Japanese-Americans in internment camps.

Now, as a freedom-loving, Constitution-loving Arab-American, I'm not advocating anything remotely resembling that kind of response to the Islamist attacks on this country.

But do we have to celebrate Islam in these disgusting love-ins in the nation's capital? I'm not an "Islamophobe." But I am increasingly Islamo-skeptical.

In case you missed it, Bush hosted a Ramadan dinner with U.S. Islamic leaders this week. He did this, by the way, at the same time many of these Muslim leaders are calling for the scalp of an extremely loyal, extremely capable, extremely heroic American general who made some 100 percent truthful and accurate statements about the nature of the war on terrorism.

Gen. William Boykin, the man in charge of hunting down Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, observed to a private church group that the world is in a titanic battle of good vs. evil and that our enemies in this war see their struggle as one against not only the United States, not only the West, but also against all Jews and Christians.

He was right. There is no question about the fact that our enemies – epitomized by those who attacked us Sept. 11, 2001, see the struggle in just those terms.

That's not to say, as some have attempted to twist the general's remarks, that he views the war on terror as a war against Islam or against all Muslims.

Bush invited Muslim leaders to an Iftar, the evening feast that breaks the dawn-to-dusk fast Muslims observe during the month of Ramadan. He organized the first White House Iftar after bin Laden and al-Qaida launched the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington. The first one was in poor taste and there is no excuse for this one.

Bush apparently believes he needs to do this to appease the Islamic world. As a descendant of refugees from that world, let me tell you the Islamic world does not respect nor honor such tributes. They see them only as a sign of weakness.

"America is a land of many faiths, and we honor and welcome and value the Muslim faith," Bush said. That's great. The same, however, cannot be said of many of those represented at the celebration – a group including many diplomats from Islamic nations.

Saudi Arabia doesn't welcome other faiths. It persecutes them. Sudan doesn't tolerate other faiths. It persecutes them. Iran doesn't honor other faiths. It persecutes them. Even Egypt doesn't value other faiths. It persecutes them – along with many other Muslim countries.

So why do we pussyfoot around with Islam?

Let's at least agree that Islam, where practiced as the official religion, is as intolerant of Christians and Jews and others as any ideology or dogma on the face of the earth.

It's worth pointing out that many of the guests invited to last year's Iftar at the White House were not in attendance this year. Why? Because many of those Bush thought to be his friends turned out to be his sworn enemies and sworn enemies of this country.

The more we dig the more we find that some U.S.-based Muslim groups receive funds from the same sources that funded the Taliban and al-Qaida. Last week, one prominent Muslim leader in the U.S., Abdurahman Alamoudi, was charged in an 18-count indictment handed down by a federal grand jury in Alexandria, Va. The charges include prohibited financial transactions, money laundering, misuse of a passport and unlawful procurement of U.S. naturalized citizenship. The government contends he was taking money from Libya – a terror-sponsoring state.

Alamoudi is the founder of three major Muslim organizations, the American Muslim Council, the American Muslim Foundation as well as the American Muslim Armed Forces and Veterans Affairs Council, a group that helped create an Islamic chaplain program in the U.S. military. The American Muslim Council is the largest umbrella organization of Muslim activists with branches all over the United States.

Alamoudi was invited to last year's White House Iftar event.

Instead of shortening next year's invitation list, I suggest just canceling the event.

I, for one, am tired of having Islam rammed down my throat by the politically correct White House, by the multicultural media elite and by those who want to rationalize and excuse hate-mongering in the name of religious tolerance.

Enough. No more Iftars in the White House. No more Ramadan celebrations. No more pandering to Muslims.

These tributes are an insult to hundreds of millions of loyal and true-blue Christian, Jewish and non-Muslim Americans who will never be invited to the White House.