But see, we could play what if forever.  There is no indication that this happened every week with this kid.  I'm sure it's probable the driver was CYA, but that doesn't really change my position that it is ludicrous to involve cops when things like this should be handled between the adults.  There is a whole lot of real crime going on to keep cops busy without them having to play mediator.

See my whole take on this is a larger picture.  We have become accustomed to the government being our nanny.  We need to get away from that.  For over 200 years Americans have handled problems amongst themselves.  It's only in the last 30 years or so that we can't wipe our bums without having a law to cover it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Angela
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 12:20 PM
To: The Sandbox Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Sndbox] FL. Boy fined on bike

Do you think if it happens again that a fine should be imposed? If the cops hadn't gotten involved in it and the parents didn't really do much to him and it happened again, what should be done that time?

One other little question.....This is a long shot, but what about the driver of the car also protecting himself by calling the cops. If just the parents were involved and no cops, what if the parents came back a couple days later and tried to say their kid was hurt and expected the driver to pay them?