Lord of the Rings co-writer Philippa Boyens, who will also co-write Rings
director Peter Jackson's upcoming King Kong remake, told SCI FI Wire that
the movie will derive heavily from the original 1933 Kong. "We're in the
stage right now where anything's possible," Boyens said in an interview
about what she calls the "big hairy ape" movie, which she and Jackson will
write with their Rings writing partner Fran Walsh.

Boyens added, "It's definitely [set in the] 1930s, which is a fascinating
era in human history. Pete was inspired by the original, so ... the
landmarks of that story are going to hold true. [Kong's] going to New York.
He's going to climb the Empire State Building. All of these things, you
know?" Will he be attacked by biplanes, as in the original film? "Don't
know," Boyens said with a laugh.

Boyens added that Rings co-star Andy Serkis (Gollum) is being eyed to play
the giant ape. "Yes, as far as I know, hopefully, Kong will be Andy for
sure," Boyens said.

For his part, Jackson said in a separate interview with SCI FI Wire that he
believes the time is right for a Kong remake. "It's always been unfinished
business for us, and it's always been a project that I've wanted to make,
because I'm a big fan of the first film. It's my favorite movie. ... I think
there's a legitimate reason to do it again now, because that I think the
young generation now, meaning the teenagers, basically, are the first
generation that aren't interested in looking at black-and-white movies. ...
We've reached the point where King Kong isn't going to really get watched
anymore by young kids. It's done. And I just feel that it's a good time to
remake it with technology and try to retain the heart of the original film."