There are several blackening techniques.  Basically it involves using a blackening spice mixture and rubbing it on the meat pretty heavy handedly.  Then quickly searing it at a high temperature, then reducing the temperature to finish the cooking process depending on the type of meat.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lowell R. Matthews
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 3:21 PM
To: The Sandbox Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Sndbox] Can sushi really kill you?

Charles wrote:
I like mahi mahi blackened.  And thanks to someone on this list ( I don't remember who) I tried Tilapia blackened and really liked it too.
Very true; again, it really does depend on the type of fish and the chef.

What exactly is involved in blackening?  I'm pretty sure crushed black pepper is one of the main ingredients, but I don't know much else about it.

Best wishes and God bless,
Lowell