Interesting...I didn't know that.

David L.

Ben Franklin:  “Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt, they have more need of masters.”

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 6:18 AM
To: 'The Sandbox Discussion List'
Subject: [Sndbox] Which U.S. President only held the office for one day?

Which U.S. President only held the office for one day?

Zachary Taylor was inaugurated in March 1849. He would not take the Oath of Office on a Sunday. The offices of President and Vice President were vacant at the time, so someone had to be the president. Consequently, David Rice Atchison, the President of the Senate, was sworn in as president. And what did President Atchison do on this, possibly one of the most momentous days in his life. When asked, he said; "I went to bed. There had been two or three busy nights finishing up the work of the Senate, and I slept most of that Sunday."