Clark: Bin Laden Not My Problem

Democratic presidential hopeful Gen. Wesley Clark has repeatedly blamed President Bush for not protecting America from the 9/11 attacks, regularly invoking Harry Truman's Oval Office motto, "The buck stops here."

But when it comes to intelligence gathered during the Clinton administration on the threat posed by Osama bin Laden, the then-Supreme Commander of NATO said Sunday that it just wasn't his job to intervene.

Clark passed the buck in bin Laden during the following exchange with NBC "Meet the Press" host Tim Russert:

RUSSERT: When you were Supreme NATO Commander were you aware of Osama bin Laden [and] al Qaeda? And did you warn anyone about the threat?

CLARK: The information [we had on bin Laden] was coming out of the Central Command area. What my responsibility was, was to take the measures in my area. [End of excerpt]

In the next breath Clark admitted that what he and other Clinton generals did about bin Laden pretty much amounted to all talk and no action.

"In fact, we did have threats by Osama bin Laden," he told Russert. "We had continuing discussions on this at our commanders' conferences with the Secretary of Defense."