This is at a neighboring town.....probably about 15 minutes from here on the WV side....My brother knew this guy.

Top Local Stories
PSHS basketball player collapses, dies
By: BILL ARCHER and DUSTY HARMAN Bluefield Daily Telegraph January 07, 2004
Princeton Senior High School
PRINCETON - A Princeton Senior High School basketball player died Tuesday night after reportedly collapsing on the bench during a junior varsity game.
According to some eyewitness reports, the student had played during the third quarter of the contest but was sitting on the bench when he collapsed.

Mark Page, PSHS assistant principal, was not at the game, but said he was notified through a phone call that the athlete was Tanner Otey, a 16-year-old sophomore at the school.

Rick Ball, pupil services coordinator for the Mercer County Board of Education, confirmed that a medical emergency occurred at the school's gymnasium, resulting in the cancellation of Princeton's game against the James Monroe Mavericks.

The scene was somber outside of the gymnasium, where students and parents gathered to console one another and await further information.

Ball said the school would have no further statement on the incident Tuesday evening.

Mercer County school board member Bill Seaver said that Ball arranged for members of the clergy and others to help with grief counseling at the scene.

"(The school board) naturally has it in place to take care of the kids," he said. "It was done not only after the game, but it will done tomorrow (Wednesday) as well."

"There will be counselors made available at the school," John Shott, president of the Mercer County Board of Education, said. "The school system was put on delay, coincidentally, due to the cold weather. Students will be there on a two-hour delay. Our faculty will be there earlier than that in an effort to prepare to help students and to orchestrate the services that will be available to the students.

"Certainly we'll do everything we can to try and help students deal with the tragedy and to support the family."

"You hate a tragedy like this. You especially feel for his parents. Knowing them like I do, and knowing how close they were to their son, you really feel for them," Seaver said.

"This was a player who really excelled in athletics. He excelled in football and in basketball - he is certainly the last person you would expect this to happen to. Naturally, the sympathies of the school system go out to his friends and family."

Otey, at 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighing 230 pounds, was a member of the Tiger varsity basketball squad and had seen several minutes of action in the Tigers' first five contests of the season. Otey also served as an offensive guard and linebacker for the PSHS football squad.

School Superintendent Dr. Deborah Akers, contacted at home Tuesday evening, declined to comment on the incident.

Angela
"We are all books of blood, wherever opened we are red"