Singapore Men Putting On Lucky Undies
Thursday, January 15, 2004

The ladies of Singapore have some New Year's treats for their hubbies — underpants specially designed to bring good luck and improve, um, male vigor.

The bright-red briefs feature the Chinese characters for "wealth" and "prosperity," said Jeannette Chong, owner of the ButtOn Trendy Undies store, where she sells each pair for $5.90 in Singapore dollars ($3.50 in U.S. dollars).

Women are also snapping up "Funky Monkey" panties by the truckload. The Chinese Year of the Monkey (search) begins Jan. 22.

"The Year of the Monkey is definitely more marketable than the other [Chinese] zodiac signs," Chong said, "because the cartoon designs for women's underwear are cuter and more appealing."

Other buyers of the lucky undies include gray-haired men hoping to feel a bit younger and "mamasans" — women who arrange sexual liaisons — looking for "corporate gifts" for their clients, Chong said.

Bicycle Thief Feels the Christmas Spirit

Janna and Larry Barnes of Mission, Texas, were upset when they came home from Christmas shopping to find that Janna's three-speed bicycle had been stolen.

Two weeks later, they got a strange letter in the mail, reported the Monitor of McAllen, Texas.

"Hello," it read. "My daughter wanted a bike for Christmas so I took yours but I found a fairly new bike so I sold yours for $7 and I decided that money should go to you. Thank you, Juan."

"P.S.," the writer added. "You people are so nice to leave things not locked up. It sure makes it easier to get something. Thank you again, Juan."

Also in the envelope were seven dollar bills.

"I guess I'm too trustworthy," Janna Barnes, 63, told the newspaper. "But the little girl got a bike for Christmas."

Her husband Larry, 64, said that had the thief simply explained why he needed the bicycle, "I would have given it to him."