Joss Whedon, co-creator of The WB's vampire series Angel, told SCI FI Wire
to expect familiar faces as the current fifth season winds up, including
Andrew (Tom Lenk from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Cordelia (Charisma
Carpenter) and the possible return of Connor (Vincent Kartheiser).
Kartheiser's character-the son of Angel (David Boreanaz) and Darla (Julie
Benz)-left the series at the end of last season after Angel made a deal with
the nefarious law firm of Wolfram & Hart.

Whether Kartheiser returns depends on scheduling and other issues, Whedon
said in an interview at the television critics' winter press tour in
Hollywood. "We do have every intention of seeing him again and seeing the
Connor who did grow up happy, who had everything that he never had and what
that person would be like and what it would be like for Angel to deal with
him knowing what Connor can never know," Whedon told reporters.

Lenk, whose nerdy character survived the apocalyptic finale of Buffy last
spring, will definitely show up in a Slayer-themed episode due in February,
Whedon said.

And, as previously reported, Carpenter's Cordelia will return to wrap up her
character's storyline in the series' 100th episode, "You're Welcome!"
which is schedule for Feb. 4. "That's very much kind of an opportunity to
sum up and sort of go, 'Good lord, we've been doing this for a while,'"
Whedon said. "And without being sly and postmodern about it and winking at
the audience, really using it as a milestone and having her-because she was
there at the beginning-come and say, 'Well, where are you now? Where were
you when we started, and where are you now and how do you feel about that?'"

One face that definitely won't appear on Angel this season: Sarah Michelle
Gellar's Buffy, Whedon said. "Sarah last year said that she would be
interested in coming on the show," he said. "And then this year, she ...
said that it felt too soon. And that's something that I actually understand.
It's very difficult when you throw something off that's sort of taken over
your life and your public persona for years and years and years, ... it's
very difficult to just sort of say, 'OK, I'm going to throw that back on on
somebody else's show and dive in again.' And I think that's probably what
happened."

Whedon added, "I don't know that it's a never. ... It was more just like,
'Now's not the time.' And as writers, we have to go to our own characters
and care more about that. And so it isn't ... bad, I don't think. ... I
would love to see her on the show, and she's welcome anytime she decides she
is ready. But I don't know if that will happen, and with a cast like that,
it's not my first priority." Angel returns with new episodes Jan. 14 and
airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.