The sound of no hands clapping

DEAR Sandbox MANNERS -- I recently attended a debate at a university over a very hot political issue. As I'm sure is usually the case with audience members at this type of event, I was very much opposed to one of the debaters and very much in agreement with the other and so was struck with an etiquette question.

Is it considered rude to refuse to applaud one speaker at a debate while applauding the other?

I always applaud at concerts, plays, etc. -- even if the performance is bad -- if only to acknowledge their efforts, but I was so opposed to this person's views and disappointed in the weakness of his arguments that I could not bring myself to clap. Was I just being rude and immature?