On Tuesday, November 30, 2004, 12:25:58 PM, Scott wrote:

SF> I've noticed the trickle is a little larger as of late.
SF> I attribute it to a potential surge in SPAM trying to get people to buy
SF> before Christmas.

There is definitely that - and there have been a few odd "surges"
lately, where the rate of new spam will lag for a bit and then come in
a burst.

For example, at 0200 this morning we saw a huge burst of new activity
in our spamtraps which was largely captured by robots. Any time there
is a burst like this timing can be important.

I've noted that a number of spammers have started leveraging their
zombie networks in a kind of coordinated attack this way --- they
launch a slew of new campaigns all at once after a short rest. The
tactic works to take advantage of any delay in the response of
filtering systems. The idea is that they can shove a good deal of
their content through the zombies before the filtering systems shut
them down.

Then, it appears, they will let URI associated with these campaigns
"rest" for a while before trying them again en-mass.

I wonder if increasing use of this tactic is part of the problem. (I
think so and I'm working toward solutions as always...)

Trixie spammerses.