On Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 12:51:19 PM, Andrew wrote:

CA> It sounds good to me, Pete.

CA> May I humbly suggest that this be a new result code, e.g. 046?  Until
CA> now, Message Sniffer has been very parsimonious with the new categories,
CA> but this looks like one that will be here for a long time.

I thought about making a new rule group for this, but talked myself
out of it:

1. I don't want to give this group priority over other rules (lower
symbol values get priority within a given scan).

2. Many bounces like this are already being captured by existing rules
- especially those that include parts or (ghasp) all of the bounced message.

3. Many of the rules we will be coding will be dual-use... That is,
when we get a bounce message that shows us the subject of the
original, and the name of the file that was rejected (or some similar
group of features) we will be coding a malware rule to block both the
original content and the bounces --- rather than trying to code a good
malware rule that avoids tagging bounces which is sometimes hard or
impossible to do.

-- After thinking about all of these it seems simpler and more
consistent to code these rules inside the existing malware group.