On Wednesday, December 29, 2004, 1:17:23 AM, Matt wrote:

<snip/>

M> things, but I'll wait for your direction before doing so.  I think
M> the most important thing would be for Pete to provide some guidance
M> for the preferred directory structure (independent of the app), so
M> that this could be used for the default settings in this and other
M> scripts.

Since SNF already runs on many different platforms and even in those
in many different configurations it is important not to introduce any
unnecessary structure. This is at odds with creating a user interface
that suits the lowest common denominator.

Since SNF runs on mail servers, and is primarily appreciated by people
who build and maintain these servers, it is reasonable to expect that
the interface desired by most of these users should - or even must
have a tremendous amount of flexibility. Otherwise the folks using SNF
would be either on their own, or would have their hands tied more
often than not. Personally, I'd prefer to be on my own than to have my
hands tied.

With regard to directory structure:

It should be possible to relocate the directory where updates occur,
but it should not be necessary. That is, it should be possible to do
it within the sniffer working directory, or a subdirectory or some
other user defined directory. As long as the code itself is written
this way, then the code can be structured so that the update working
directory is defined at some point by a variable, and that that
variable is derived by default as a subdirectory of the sniffer
working directory in order to illustrate that point programatically.

Then, if the user is the kind that does not want to be bothered by the
configuration they can leave it as it is and it will work; and if the
user is an expert who has everything "just so" on their system then
they can migrate the update working directory as needed by changing
the variable and/or how it is derived (or not) from the sniffer
working directory.

--- In defense of the existing scripts, the decision was to provide a
basic mechanism that worked one way (download when an update arrives
via a program alias) and then enough guidance and assistance to allow
the more "hands on" folks to derive a more specialized solution.
Seemed reasonable at the time.