On Wednesday, December 29, 2004, 2:31:18 AM, Landry wrote:

<snip/>

LW> 2) I personally find it to be a bit messy to have everything
LW> running      from within my Sniffer directory.� After all of the
LW> other CMD files,      old rulebases, service related files, logs,
LW> etc., it's not obvious what is      needed or not.� I would
LW> suggest coding this up with a default directory      structure of
LW> using a subdirectory called "updates".� This would require      a
LW> separation of variables for the updates directory and the
LW> destination      directory I believe.


LW> What do others think about this?� My goal was to keep things
LW> as  simple as possible for the end user of the script.� However,
LW> if people  think that a separate "updates" directory makes more
LW> sense, then I can make this  change.

IMO (with 20/20 hindsight) having updates happen in the sniffer
working directory seems to lead to much of the complexity of the
script... Realizing that this thought is in conflict with my previous
post (that the update mechanism should be able to function safely
within the sniffer working directory) it might be _simpler_ on the
whole to have it separated.

To test this - am I correct in guessing that an update done in a
separate directory could skip most of the renaming work of the current
script(s). That is, the download step would bring in a new .snf file
right on top of the existing one. Then the file would be tested and
either placed into service or discarded depending upon what snf2check
says about it. The rest of the operation (archival et al) would be
optional and all of the renaming associated with collision avoidance
could be eliminated. (I think I think too much... I should think about
that).

LW> 3) I think it would be a good idea to consider a different
LW> default      directory structure.� With Sniffer evolving to
LW> support other platforms,      IMail effectively abandoning us, and
LW> Declude moving to SmarterMail and      possibly others, I could
LW> very well see Sniffer establishing a non-dependant      directory
LW> structure.� I would suggest that the default recommendation     
LW> become "C:\Sniffer", which might also necessitate a change in some
LW> of Pete's      other documentation.� Keep in mind that it is
LW> confusion and convolution      that contributes to the lack of
LW> efficient rulebase downloads and not the      lack of resources or
LW> help.� IMO, things would benefit from      standardization of this
LW> sort, and it should all be done with    purpose.


LW> Yes, but this script was focused only on IMail users.� Does
LW> it make  more sense to create different scripts for different
LW> platforms, or a single  script with a platform specification
LW> variable?

Personally I've never thought that any "standard" update script should
be IMail specific --- it just ended up that way (a little). There
should be IMO only two "standard" update scripts. One for *nix users
and one for Win32 users.
  
<snip/>

LW> 5) I'm thinking that including the notification process
LW> within this      script might be too much.� The primary goal is to
LW> get people to use the      automated system and compressed files,
LW> and this adds complexity to the      setup.� My thought here would
LW> be to create a "chaining" option that      could be used to kick

<snip/>

LW> Again, this script is focused only on IMail users.� If we
LW> follow  your suggestion in section 4 above, then why move the
LW> e-mail report out of the  basic script?

IMO there is a lot of complexity here.

The notification scheme could expand into a menagerie of logging,
email, and action mechanisms.

To simplify this then why not simply prepare a stub that optionally
calls a notification script with a variable. The variable indicates
either success or failure.

The notification mechanism can then evolve on it's own as a separate
problem. ?

<snip/>

LW> Let see what Pete and others on the list think.� If we can
LW> come up  with a basic consensus, then we can run with it.�
LW> Whatever we decide, I  would welcome your help.

I really appreciate all of this effort.
THANKS TO EVERYONE!
_M




This E-Mail came from the Message Sniffer mailing list. For information and 
(un)subscription instructions go to 
http://www.sortmonster.com/MessageSniffer/Help/Help.html

Reply via email to