Lowest result code wins with Sniffer, 63 is the highest score currently, and these rules are going in a place where formerly they were only IP's,so you shouldn't need to adjust anything. I would imagine that refinement should improve accuracy in the IP rules, though I don't believe that it will be near perfect.

I do however want to voice my general and ongoing concern about automation and extracting IP's from spamtraps. This can be done, but one must be very careful to remove legitimate or compromised hosts, and most that don't bother to do so are even worse than SpamCop when it comes to listing ISP's and the like.

For a good picture of whether a host is spammy, one should also look at all of the good traffic, and make sure that there is a huge sample of data to work with. Alternatively, one should be checking for things such as the host being legitimate (does it answer with a name that matches the reverse DNS or HELO that it gave you, does it have "mail" in the name, etc.). Also, it makes sense to have different qualification mechanisms for zombie spam and static spammers since their heuristics are quite different and can be targeted more effectively and more accurately with mechanisms built to their patterns.

I do fear that automation of this sort, unless it is done in a very reserved manner (throwing out what can't be almost absolutely confirmed), will result in foreign hosts being caught, and large ISP's/E-mail providers much in the same way as they have been. CBL takes the reserved approach and is therefore much, much more accurate than SpamCop, yet their results aren't that far off the last I checked. CBL primarily targets zombies with their methods, and they do this because it is much easier to find a sign of an illegitimate host (that also hit a spamtrap).

Matt

Jay Sudowski - Handy Networks LLC wrote:

There's been at least one FP ;)

----------
Rule - 861038
Name    F001 for Message 2888327: [216.239.56.131]
Created         2006-03-02
Source  216.239.56.131
Hidden  false
Blocked         false
Origin  Automated-SpamTrap
Type    ReceivedIP
Created By      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Owner   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Strength        2.08287379496965
False Reports   0
From Users      0
[FPR:B]

The rule is below threshold, and/or badly or broadly coded so it will be
removed from the core rulebase.

My concern with automated IP rule coding is that we use Sniffer because
it's extremely accurate.  Coding rules linked to IPs, particularly IPs
that are used by google or any large ISP to send large amounts of
(mostly legitimate) email is contrary to what Sniffer is great at, which
is tagging spam that no one else is.

Is response code 63 going to be utilized for any other purposes?  If
not, I will let Declude know to weight these responses lower than normal
Sniffer.

- Jay -----Original Message-----