On Monday, March 6, 2006, 7:24:20 PM, Andrew wrote:

<snip>

CA> I would like to state that I don't need Message Sniffer to
CA> identify servers that send bogus postmaster notifications.  This
CA> would be entirely due to false positives such as the three
CA> examples above.

CA> Given that spammers clearly recycle their email database as a
CA> fake-mailfrom database, any spamtrap address will get bogus bounces and
CA> therefore, the spamtraps will flag legitimate senders' IP addresses in
CA> Rule 63.

CA> I don't expect nor want you to discuss the details of the
CA> spamtraps as the point of one class of your spamtraps is that
CA> their methods are secret.  However, Matt has described a subset of
CA> the filters various Decluders have used to filter out postmaster
CA> bounces and other reflected noise, and I can certainly chip in on
CA> that conversation offline.

In addition to all previous IP rule false positives, any new false
positives will be kept in the rulebase to prevent any repeats.

Regarding outscatter, we do create rules where we can to eliminate
known outscatter - when the bounce contains sufficient information to
identify it clearly as originating from malware or known spam.

However, the trap F001 is using are pre-processed with mediation rules
to "blind" the system from these kinds of messages. These rules are
not complete (perhaps never will be) but they are pretty good and
getting better.

With each new case we will be refining what cannot be seen by bots or
even people from these sources.