Besides the one I sent to the list instead of to spam@, many of the ones
getting through are simple, text-based things that REALLY look like regular
emails. Probably one of the worst kinds to sniff out.

-----Original Message-----
From: Message Sniffer Community [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Pete McNeil
Sent: Wednesday, 26 July 2006 2:52 PM
To: Message Sniffer Community
Subject: [sniffer] Re: New SPAM pain

Hello John,

> I'm dying to start a thread and talk about Sniffer's stance on
> CommTouch, but I can resist.

Me too.

> Instead, I would like to point out that eight clearly spam messages
> have made it through to my Inbox [or Outlook Junk Folder] so far this
> week that appear to have skinned clear through Sniffer. First ones I've
seen in ages.
> Are we undergoing a new phase or campaign that I can make adjustments for?

There has been some impressive activity in new spam campaigns this week, but
nothing is consistently getting past us that I am aware of.

There have been a number of very broken spam campaigns that gave us some
trouble, and a few image spam campaigns that were more complex than most.

Is there anything special you notice about the ones you've mentioned?

_M

PS: I was recently asked where "image spam rules" go so that a customer
could ramp up the weight on that rule group. The vast majority of image spam
rules are abstracts of message structures and occasionally image file
fragments. These rules go in group 61 (Experimental / Abstract). This group
has very low false positive rates as a rule (judging from FP submissions
which are low in general).

--
Pete McNeil
Chief Scientist,

To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Send administrative queries to  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>