Monday, October 8, 2007, 8:55:26 AM, James wrote:

> My dilemma is that I’m using the same SMTP server forsending
> email out as getting email in – so outgoing email is getting
> spamchecked using Message Sniffer – This means my False Positive
> reports aregetting quarantined before they can get out!!

> Any ideas on how to work around this problem?

Depeneding on which mail server you're using, there should be a
setting or settings to tell it *NOT* to check your legitimate outgoing
mail.

I use MDaemon.  In the main user interface, I select SECURITY -> SPAM
FILTER, and then on the SPAM FILTERING TAB, there are a couple of

- Don't filter messages sent from local sources
- Don't filter messages from trusted or authenticated sources

I turn both of these on.  Elsewhere in MDaemon's configuration I
define just what "local" means (I believe I've got it set for
192.168.47.0/24, which covers my LAN segment), and I've enabled the
ability (or is it requirement? I forget) for my users, who are mostly
remote users and not on my LAN, to AUTHENTICATE all mail sessions when
sending mail through my server.

As a result of all of this, neither MessageSniffer nor any of
MDaemon's other anti-spam tools (SpamAssassin, etc.) are ever called
to process outgoing mail.

--
Joey Lindstrom