Steve,

Since this hasn't yet been mentioned, try Alligate (www.alligate.com). It does selective greylisting (only greylists things that look spammy), and also will validate your users' addresses and do things like country blocking/tarpitting/greylisting. Only one zombie spammer survives greylisting, and after you dump all of that plus validate addresses, you will reduce your traffic down to a point where it is only 1/3 spam. If you only reject bad addresses and clear abuse (many bad addresses in one connection for instance), you can do this with 99.9999% accuracy. I'm not lying about that either. The only things that fail selective greylisting will be black boxes that don't spool E-mail, and if you give a wide retry time, you will likely allow future attempts from a black box that happens to get greylisted.

Selective greylisting is far superior to regular greylisting since it is rarely triggered against legitimate E-mail. I dump around 93% of all connections to my servers and I don't need to falsely trust a single source of data such as SpamCop to achieve those results. I then leave the heavy lifting to a secondary filtering system where the heavy lifting is performed. Alligate requires almost no resources, though you should dedicate a box to it so that other things don't step on it's feet.

Matt

Steve Guluk wrote:

Hello, I run iMail 9.0 and would like a program that can do GeoIP to screen foreign countries before they even get to iMail. I used to use MXGuard (still have an active license) but my server could not handle the CPU draw. I moved to eWall which really has some great potential as it is a nice light gateway client that works with Sniffer but it also crashes and has a few other problems (this program also introduced me to GeoIP).

Any other suggestions as I am beat after trying to get some decent spam relief as well as relief from an aging server. My server is an AMD 2.0 with Raid and 2 gigs of Ram.... It's faired well over the last couple years but the spam levels ramping up are starting to take their toll and I don't want to move to a new server just yet.

eWalls got me spoiled on the GeoIP feature where it polls a DB for country info based on the incoming IP and can delete emails before they reach iMail.

Any suggestions on what I should consider to help with spam and also use Sniffer. Is Declude worth while? Some other light gateway like eWall ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

*Steve Guluk*

SGDesign

(949) 661-9333