From: Roger L. Costello [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 5:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: sessions

> Naresh Agarwal wrote:
>
> Apache Soap supports session maintenace. It uses
> underlying HTTP mechanism (cookie based) for session
> maintenace.
>
> You can find more details on it at the following link.
>
> http://xml.apache.org/soap/docs/guide/migration.html

I took a look at this document.  It seems to be addressing the issue of
creating a persistent network connection between between a SOAP client
and server.  I do not believe that that is the type of session which
Oleg is interested in.  I believe that Oleg is interested in an HTTP
session (i.e., a virtual session).  That is, he is interested in
establishing a pesistent "virtual connection" between the SOAP client
and the server, as is commonly used by web sites that implement the
shopping cart paradigm.

Many web sites today implement HTTP sessions using cookies.  The server
sends to the client a cookie (containing typically a session ID), which
the client's browser stores.  Each time the client hits that web site
the browser automatically sends along the cookie to the server.

Naresh, I must admit to being confused by your statement "It uses the
underlying HTTP mechanism (cookie based) for session maintenance".
First, the document you reference seems to be merely addressing how to
set the HTTP header to Connection: Keep-Alive.  Second, I see nothing in
Apache SOAP which allows a server method to set cookies.  Third, I see
nothing in the Apache SOAP spec for storing cookies on the client side.

The SOAP spec seems to suggest that things such as sessions,
authentication, etc can be enabled by placing elements in the SOAP
header section.  This raises several questions in my mind:

1. Has anyone used the header section?  Can you show an example?

2. Since the SOAP spec doesn't define anything in the SOAP header
section then each SOAP implementation is left to define their own way of
implementing sessions, authentication, etc.  Right?  Consequently,
Apache SOAP will not work with MS SOAP, etc.  Right?

/Roger