From: Wilkins, Craig [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 4:41 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: xml schemas?

What data types are the parameters to the methods?  If they are just a set
of strings, I advise you not to use the BeanSerializer, as that would
require that your client either use the BeanSerializer or know how to
encode/decode the SOAP body in such a way that the BeanSerializer knows how
to deserialize at the server.  If your clients are not using Apache SOAP,
then using the BeanSerializer is a lot of work for them.

The BeanSerializer works great if you have two or more java-only
applications that need to share/pass java objects to each other in a
distributed environment and your security team won't let you use RMI.

Use regular SOAP encoding if you are passing a set of strings or any other
simple types.  Arrays of Strings work well too.  When parameters become more
complex (Objects that contain other objects, etc.), I prefer literal XML
encoding.  The downside to literal XML encoding is to find SOAP
implementations that support it.  There are a lot of SOAP implementations
that are available for many different platforms.  I got literal XML working
with Apache SOAP and MSSoap, but had trouble with SOAP Lite and I think was
related to a bug.  If anyone out there has gotten this working for real,
please let me know.

In terms of learning more about WSDL, I recently read a white paper @
http://www.systinet.com/techres/intro.html   It mostly talks about the
larger subject of web services, but also drills down into what WSDL is.

Good Luck.
Craig