What does your tomcat.sh modification look like? I believe I had a
similar problem when I tried to add the soap.jar to the classpath within
the tomcat.sh. You probably have a classpath issue, or possible conflict
with soap.jar. Also, I have experienced some troubles trying the
server.xml approach setting with Tomcat 3.3, and have found the soap.war
install approach to work best.