one way would be to tweak org/apache/soap/providers/StatelessEJBProvider.java to use the following mechanism to create the InitialContext . iAS 6.0 supports the "no args" mechanism of creating the IntitialContext inside the container .

try
{
/// current mechanism
javax.naming.InitialContext context = new javax.naming.InitialContext(props) ;
}
catch (NameNotFoundException e)
{
context = new javax.naming.InitialContext() ; // no args .
}

-Raghavan

Fergus O'Dalaigh wrote:

Hi, I've deployed normal Java classes as services on the SOAP web app, but I really need to use EJB's as services.

I'm using iAS 6.0 (iPlanet Application Server) and SOAP 2.3.1.

I get a "Unable to initialize context" error when I run my SOAP client.
Here is my SOAP deployment descriptor:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<isd:service xmlns:isd="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap/deployment";
id="urn:ejbhello">
<isd:provider type="org.apache.soap.providers.StatelessEJBProvider"
scope="Application"
methods="create">
<isd:option key="JNDIName" value="TheGreeter"/>
<isd:option key="FullHomeInterfaceName"
value="samples.helloworld.ejb.GreeterHome" />
<isd:option key="ContextProviderURL"value="iiop://localhost:900" />
<isd:option key="FullContextFactoryName"
value="com.sun.jndi.cosnaming.CNCtxFactory"/>
</isd:provider>
<isd:faultListener>org.apache.soap.server.DOMFaultListener
</isd:faultListener>
</isd:service>

I think the problem lies with value of ContextProviderURL, since I couldn't track down the actual naming provider URL to use with IPlanet.

The EJB is deployed and working on the server.
I also copied the EJB jar file <ias home>/APPS/modules/soap/WEB-INF/lib

Has anyone out there managed to do this?

Fergus, Barcelona Spain.