Thanks for all your replies.

As I originally suspected, the problem was a JNDI naming problem.

As I know how frustating it can be for someone starting to get all this going, I'll
give a short explanation what I did to get it working.

Here is the deployment descriptor:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<isd:service xmlns:isd="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap/deployment";
             id="urn:ejbhello">
  <isd:provider type="org.apache.soap.providers.StatelessEJBProvider"
                scope="Application"
                methods="create">
    <isd:option key="JNDIName" value="ejb/TheGreeter"> </isd:option>
    <isd:option key="FullHomeInterfaceName"
value="samples.helloworld.ejb.GreeterHome"></isd:option>
    <isd:option key="ContextProviderURL" value=""></isd:option>
    <isd:option key="FullContextFactoryName"
value="com.netscape.server.jndi.RootContextFactory"></isd:option>
  </isd:provider>
        <isd:faultListener>org.apache.soap.server.DOMFaultListener</isd:faultListener>
</isd:service>

I redeployed the service to the SOAP app, copied the ejb classes over to
<iashome>/APPS/modules/soap/WEB-INF/classes.
I then restarted the App server and it worked.

One thing I still can't understand is that when I view the service using the admin
tool, it doesn't list any of the isd:option options.
If someone could throw some light on this I'd be grateful.

Fergus