From: Fritz Bien [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 5:11 PM
To: John Derstine
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [RCSE] Electrics at Glider fields

>Having spent five years getting permission to aerotow gliders at power
>clubs, and seeing great results with the Canadian efforts to secure,(and
>keep) sod farms with gas tow plane fueling areas, I am encouraged that a
>spirit of cooperation is possible. In Europe, most clubs have all kinds of
>modeling, there is no elitism or exclusiveness as a rule. they can not
>afford the space to have separate fields for every kind of modeling.
>The problem lies in the minds of men, not in any intrinsic incompatibility
>of various forms of R/C flight.

Hi John,

I fly both power and sailplanes and I have to say that they are indeed
incompatible in many instances on the same field, particularly at the small
fields we get in New England.  Aside from the noise/no noise arguments,
there are fundamental incompatibilities with the two forms of flying:

As a Glider flyer, I want to stand downwind of the field, and have my winch
lines go through the middle of the field only to be anchored at the upwind
end of the same. I really panic if there is a power pilot standing in the
region of the field where the parachute is coming down.  I hate it when
some yahoo buzzes my head during his landing.

As a power pilot, I like landing upwind. This means that on final, I like
to have my quarter-scale at head-height on the downwind corner. I hate it
when some yahoo is standing there flying his glider.  That towline that
lands on the runway is also a nuisance.

If the field is big enough so that the glider pilot is out of the way of my
approach, or if I was towing the glider, there would be no problem. We
would be flying form the same spot. Its when the field has enough room for
the glider pilot to stand in the way of the power pilot and visa versa that
we have problems.

Note that powered sailplanes can be flown from either pilot areas, whereas
one would tend to fly high-speed heavy hot-liner electrics from the
power-flyers spot.

...Then there is the guy that insists on hovering his helicopter in the
middle of the runway. :-)

-Fritz