Yes,  I'll agree with John that it wasn't Addiction weather at the SWC,  at least not
the kind of weather where the Addiction was designed to excel.  However,  that having
been said,  the Addiction and other light wing loading gliders can be and certainly
were competitive at the SWC.  I was flying my newly introduced Compulsion with a wing
load of 8.8 ounces per square foot and the 7037 airfoil.  I flew fairly late in the
flight order on Saturday.  Normally you would consider that an advantage as lift can
be hard to come by  in February in the desert at 0900.  However,  as the first round
progressed and the wind got worse,  it became apparent flying late was actually a
disadvantage and that ballast would be necessary.  Since I'd only completed my
Compulsion a few days before the contest,  I'd made no provisions for ballast.  I
could have substituted a 9/16" stainless steel joiner rod available at
www.hilaunch.com and gained 16 ounces,  but I didn't think the wind was severe enough
to warrant that much weight.  With the help of Don Richmond,  we quickly fabricated
(within five minutes) a ballast system that positioned seven ounces exactly over the
CG.  This increased the wing loading from 8.8 to 9.9 ounces per square foot. Seven
ounces turned out to be the perfect amount of weight for the conditions as I was able
to easily make the required times during the brutal first three rounds.  In fact,  I
had to dive down to land to ensure that I didn't exceed the window times during all
three flights.

So,  a light wing loading isn't necessarily an insurmountable  handicap during windy
conditions.  You just have to be prepared to ballast.  As I like to say,  "it's easy
to add weight when it's windy,  but almost impossible to remove unnecessary weight
when the air is flat".  Many thanks to Don Richmond who helped with the ballast
installation and to the CASL crew for a great contest.  Next year,  I'll bring an MH32
Compulsion as a backup to  be even better prepared.

Fred