Jerry;

I have been around the horn on this issue before, specifically in regards to
the Sport scale competition at the NATS, only there it was the reverse
issue. While rewriting the rules for an AMA rules change proposal, I was
trying to institute a clause in rules that would not subtract points from
the static scoring because a scale guy DID have dark on the bottom of his
wings. Many scale guys do this anyway, especially we who take the soaring
aspect of the scale sailplane sport seriously. We often fly at altitudes in
excess of 3,000' AGL. I once checked, by altimeter, my altitude at 3500'
flying a six meter Nimbus 4, scary to be sure, as it's very thin wings were
disappearing every 1/2 turn or so. That plane had dark red ultracote stripes
under the wings for about 2/3's the outer span. In reality it did little at
extreme altitudes but helped at 2000 or less. I now use a solid dark color
under the wings of planes I decide I will soar very high or planes that have
extremely high aspect ratio's.
My first point (and opinion) is that any serious flyer who enters the X
country scale event will most likely either have dark under his wings
already or has the eyes and experience to know what his plane is doing at
extreme altitudes. I don't think you will get many scale purists flying
their pristine 100% scale hangar queens at a Cross country event. I have
some German friends who would be glad and willing to travel to the U.S. for
such a great scale event, but don't tell them they have to have black on
their wings, they will laugh. It is a cultural thing. So why not leave it up
to the pilot? why does this have to be mandatory? Certainly a good idea, but
depending on the sailplane more or less effective. Besides it is his loss,
scale planes have a value in excess of $6,000.00 in some cases, most will
take adequate precautions to avoid losing same.

Case in point. I could bring my 1/2.2 swift with scale wingtip extensions (7
meter span), out altitude any other plane at the event, (not due to pilot
skill, believe me) and it has no dark under the wings, why? Because the root
chord is 23" which to a large extent negates the need for any color under
the wing. It is a virtual overcast when flying overhead.
 Another issue is that the use of a vario gives a lot of info about what
your plane is doing, it might be better, and make more sense to require a
vario rather than a cosmetic touch. That would level the playing field, and
give everyone the same tools. New varios are soon to be ready, if they are
not already, which will give speed, plus altitude, and variometer info. with
that set up you could fly by wire, until you re-acquire your plane.

What I would suggest, if you feel the need to require dark under the wings
for all pilots as mandatory, is to simply announce in advance that this will
be a requirement, and leave it up to the pilot to apply something BEFORE the
event. An easy fix would be low temp iron on covering like ultracote,
lightly tacked on in wide stripes, closely spaced together.(for ease of
application)
Your right, no body is going to let you paint anything on their plane at the
event, but if they know before hand they can mentally prepare and come up
with a solution.
.
I guess a lot depends on the kind of scale pilot you want to attract to the
event. I am automatically thinking of scale planes with 5 meter minimum
spans to be competitive. if this is open to 4 meter class planes through 7
meters that is a problem in itself. Scale planes come in all sizes and
aspect ratios. Are you planning to run classes based on span or area?
To date the X country plane is rather a monolithic entity, much as the TD
plane is basically the same plane in different colors, scale goes beyond
that realm, How are you going to handle that.

John Derstine
Always willing to take the opposing view as devils advocate.