I've been flying slope, thermal and power for a very long time.  I started
with learning to fly slope and thermal pretty much simultaneously, then got
into powered models, progressing from simple, no throttle, rudder/elevator
only to scale warbirds with flaps and retracts, etc. to fully aerobatic
models, with more speed, more power, more capability.  The learning curve
was really steep!  When I went back to soaring years later, glider design
had really progressed, especially on the slope!  My power flying skills made
it a snap for me to jump right in and start racing, doing combat, etc.
Power flying pretty much forces you to improve your stick and rudder skills,
especially if you get into and take the time to master the aerobatic stuff
(like my 1/4 scale Extra 300S).  It will help you to feel more comfortable
and fly with greater precision when doing aerobatics on the slope.  With the
power plane, you can practice a maneuver many times until you get the inputs
just right and then fly similar maneuvers on the slope, compensating, of
course, for low energy/loss of energy, etc..  I think this applies to
landing technique especially.  Flying a gas powered model off of a narrow
strip of pavement demands a certain level of precision and consistency that
I often see lacking when I observe people trying to land a glider after a
thermal flight.  The ability to go around and try it again until you get it
right is a benefit of having an engine on board, and you can get a great
deal of practice!  Of course, flying on the slope can present the same
opportunity if the conditions are right.  The "stick and rudder" skills
required to fly the slope or to fly a typical powered model are
complimentary, and make for a relatively easy transition to thermal flying,
allowing you to concentrate more on thermalling technique and not how to
simply keep your model in one piece!

Keith M