From:   John Roe [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Wednesday, September 08, 1999 1:17 PM
To:     RCSE
Subject:        Re: [RCSE] Someone wanted MPH for speed record

There is some confusion about how far the plane flies in the
FAI task "C" of F3B.  The actual requirement is to complete
four legs of 150 meters each.  The plane of course flies quite
a bit farther in accomplishing that task, both horizontally and
vertically.  I calculated the ACTUAL average speed of the plane
in MPH, as that is kinda interesting, rather than an "imaginary"
average speed.  There is no official speed- it's not at issue, just E.T.

So....

4 X 160 (150m+turn radius+ any over, most likely more)= 640 meters
200 meters start height - zero finishing height (actually a couple of feet
;-) =200 meters
200  vertical meters + 640 horizontal meters = 840 meters.

This is probably quite close.
I understand many have never seen an F3B speed run, and
are thusly confused...

John Roe
Laguna Hills, Ca
www.martialartsacademy.org