Jerry Craft writes:

>...We do not want the new foamie classes to
>become that high tech.  We want people to use simple materials
>that will not lead to debate. We want entry level people in there, not
>expert builders with exotic or expensive materials...

Jerry, with all due respect, fiberglassing an elevon is hardly "high-tech".
Adding fiberglass/epoxy to the outside of balsa parts to make them durable
enough to withstand the wear-and-tear of normal use was standard practice
when I started building balsa controlline and R/C models back in the
sixties, and probably long before then. My old Falcon 56 had fiberglass
tape (lovingly applied with Elmer's glue!) around the center section to
keep the wings from changing dihedral in flight, as did most R/C models
back then. It is still standard practice today. Any good R/C hobby shop has
the necessary materials available for a few bucks, and just about anyone
who has the necessary vision, intelligence and coordination to mix epoxy
and smear it with a stick can figure out for themselves how to do it.

For that matter, what about nylon cloth applied with thin cyano, or
Titebond or Elmer's wood glue? It's not fiberglass, yet the results are for
all practical purposes the same.

It appears to me that some folks are being a little overzealous here,
worrying about problems that don't appear to be problems (at least not
yet), and splitting hares. Fine if you're making rabbit stew, but not so
useful for models.

One principle that's worked consistently well for Joe and I is to try it
the easiest way first. You can always make it more complicated later. So
far, from what's been presented, it doesn't appear that use of exotic
materials is a significant problem, at least not yet.

Even if someone shows up with a model made from Aerogel with boron/ceramic
spars and a digital on-board stabilizing system with GPS navigation option
enabled and automatic targeting and homing radar system, it has not been
shown that there is any inherent advantage to doing that for this event. If
at some point in the future it looks like you MUST have that sort of
sophistication to be competitive, you can always implement a rule AT THAT
TIME. It does not make sense to make that rule now, because there is no way
today, with the experience you have so far, to anticipate the nature of the
"exotic technology" problem that may or may not apply to this particular
event. It's better to try it without restrictions, see if anything exotic
shows up, THEN SEE IF THAT ACTUALLY GIVES IT A SIGNIFICANT ADVANTAGE, and
then (and ONLY then) write a rule that stands a decent chance of solving a
real (as in "not imaginary") problem.

My two cents, for what it's worth. I hope it's helpful, if nothing else for
making sure folks have fully thought through what they're actually trying
to achieve. Good luck with your event, and I hope the person with the model
made from an old cardboard box thoroughly trounces the one with the
on-board radar and telemetry system! I've now stuck my nose in someone
else's business more than I probably ever should have, so I'm going to take
my own advice, shut myself up, and go back to designing some new gliders!
;-)

Don Stackhouse @ DJ Aerotech
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.bright.net/~djwerks/