Hi Rick,

  There are several well documented cases of jets losing power and making it
back for a safe landing.  Our famous "lawn dart" (F-16) probably has the
most gliding time of any jet other than the U-2!  There are also published
stories of commercial airliners losing power and being able to land, even
tho they were miles from an airport.  One (a 737 if I remember correctly)
landed on a levee but was completely undamaged.  They ended up fixing the
problem and flying it out later!  The distance a jet can fly power-off
depends on it's L/D.  (I think an F-4 had negative numbers for L/D!)

  Happy flying,

Jimmy