To clear up another misunderstanding: L/D  (and the proper speed) are in the
operations manual of every powered (prop and jet) aircraft. It does not need
to be calculated by an "experienced glider pilot". All jet airliner flights
end in a 100 mile glide (interrupted only by ATC level offs), so you don't
have to be a glider pilot to do a successful dead-stick landing, but it
helps.

Often at the end of simulator training sessions, we'll do a dead stick
landing just for fun. My favorite  (for gliding) is the MD-80. Good, no,
excellent, glide, and no powered flight controls. You can shut down the
engines and the electrical system and still fly it like a sailplane.

By the way, the F-104 Starfighter has been dead-sticked during test flying
(Yeager--of course). Remember: if it can fly, it can glide (fixed wing
aircraft).

Ben Clerx
DC-10 "sailplane" pilot