At 02:36 PM 10/18/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Are there any reasons not to use NiMH on receiver battery packs? Seems the
>weight trade off, by using smaller (ie: AAA) cells of the same capacity, or
>the extra capacity of the same size (AA) cells would be a good deal. Is there
>a voltage drop off that nicads don't experience?

NiMH have a higher self discharge, don't tolerate mis-use, and can only be
peak detect charged with advanced chargers.  Since there are NiCd AA's
rated at almost 1000mah, there is not much reason to use NiMH cells.

>What is the highest discharge rate that these batteries tolerate? I've been
>told 15a is the most. True?

For a AA, 10A tops for some of the newer cells and they'll get pretty
hot.  5A is a lot safer.

>If they're so great why haven't nicads gone the way of the Dodo bird?

Because for most applications they are better.

  Ralph Weaver     "Every Solution has a Problem."
  Fishers, IN
  USA

  My site http://members.iquest.net/~weaverr
  MTI products http://www.magtechinc.net