Products like Red Devil Onetime or Fast & Final lightweight spackle are very
light and very tough.  It's an acrylic polymer which is quite durable.  When
you purchase a container you'd swear it's 90% empty because the contents are
so light.  Don't confuse these products with drywall compound (which some
call spackle) which is a heavy, brittle gypsum product.