In a message dated 12/15/99 4:37:26 PM, Fuse Works writes:
< I've had similar crashes with wings made of carbon and blue foam and
sustained only a few scratches. I agree your method for laying up a wing is
better than a 1 mm thick layer of foam sandwiched by tissue paper & thin
fiberglass that you mention in your response to Scott but it does not compare
very well to a wing made of carbon over blue foam cores in a crash.  >>

I couldn't have said it better myself. Oh wait, I did say that. Look Steve,
the reason Scott emailed you in private initially is because we both new that
the crash in question (yes it went in pretty hard, all 4'-6' tall bushes no
terra firma involved) surprised us both on the amount of damage inflicted.

My feelings are that had it been my Laird, Aircobra (bagged Kevlar wing) or
my Birdworks, Zipper (1/32 ply over 4.5oz carbon with oak LE) the damage
would have been very little. I've crashed both these planes at this same site
going at least as fast and sustained broken wing bolts and paint scratches.
So I'm glad you have a lot of customers who have had better survivability
than I experienced. I was impressed with how the Vortex wing flew but when it
comes to survivability in a crash mine did not come close to the above
mentioned (Zipper & Aircobra) lay-up schemes.

Funny how this all started with your comments about improving your Vortex's
strength by adding a internal Kevlar D-tube structure into the leading edge.
Great idea I hope it helps make it survive better in a crash like I
experienced. I really do wish I could have been one of your customers that
slammed into a fence post at 80mph with 2 pounds of lead and walked away with
neary a scratch. I'm not.

This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  :-)

Later,

Dave Reese