There is a penalty; as always there are factors that contribute to the overall
effectiveness of the electrical link between servos and the RX.

I started out testing control surface excursions mainly to understand fidelity
during very high speed descents while chasing an attempt at the FAI (F3B
absolute) world speed record. As part of an ongoing program at the local
university engineering dept., I conducted a series of tests whereby a position
sensor was wired into a flap on A CF NYX.

Deflection readings were measured during and many descents, mainly looking at
the relationship of pitching moment and finding optimum TE reflex to neutralize
stab position for minimum drag during this critical phase. It occurred to me
that I could also perform the same tests on the winching and measure the same
deflection during launch.

This last aspect came about because (as some of you are aware) I was interested
in minimizing uncommanded surface deflection during all aspects of flight. As I
build wiring harnesses for some of you, it was only natural to experiment with
lead MIL area (awg), cell-count, and what the losses were when sharing PWR/GND.
I didn¡¯t need to perform real-world testing to know the results but I did
anyways cause, given past history, I could count on folks balking at any
suggestions to the contrary.

To cut to the chase, yes, the (electrical) losses are significant enough to
prevent the servos from holding, or recovering from, an uncommanded position
after displacement during launch. This occurs to a lesser extent with the
advent of digital servos, but the fact still remains that PWR to hold a
commanded position, as far as what the motor sees, is still not adequate.

For a typical F3x airframe, in order of importance, the most effective means of
ensuring position fidelity¡­as it relates to the electrical system:

1)      5cell NiCD (not NiMH) PWR supply
2)      Digital servos
3)      Dedicated PWR/GND from RX buss to motor
4)      ¡Ý24awg 7 strand lead (circular MIL area of std 7 strand is offers only
slightly less R than more expensive lead material w/higher strand count)
Switch elimination/20awg leads from PWR source to RX buss.
5)      Switch elimination/20awg leads from PWR source to RX buss.

The estimates you ask about would be different for every installation. However,
if you wish to get the best performance under the above conditions, then
dedicated PWR/GND will hold a commanded servo position significantly better
than when it is shared with two or more servos...