Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:52:58 -0600
From: S Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mark Drela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, soaring@airage.com
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Carbon Supra #48 flies - weight < 61 oz !

Mark I enjoy reading your posts, very interesting. Makes me think of Spock. :-)

What about elevator loads?  And elevator servo moment?  How would
that be calculated?

At 10:08 AM 2/18/2006, Mark Drela wrote:

Molded Supra launch hinge moments are listed below,
for a 200 lb tow load (hard F3j launch).  For smaller
tow loads, hinge moments will be proportionally smaller.

wing camber = +10 deg
rudder defl =  30 deg
wing CL = 1.2
lift = 200 lbs
q = 0.16 psi = 1104 Pa
V = 95 mph = 42.5 m/s

Flap hinge moment  =  4.87 in-lb  =  78 in-oz  =  5.62 kgf-cm
Ail. hinge moment  =  3.15 in-lb  =  50 in-oz  =  3.60 kgf-cm
Rud. hinge moment  =  2.12 in-lb  =  34 in-oz  =  2.45 kgf-cm

To get the servo moment (torque), this hinge moment must be multiplied
by a linkage geometry factor, which is approximately by the ratio of
servo/surface horn lengths. This is between 0.7 - 0.9 for most installations.
Assuming a horn length ratio of 0.8, the servo moments are:

Flap servo moment  =  62 in-oz
Ail. servo moment  =  40 in-oz
Rud. servo moment  =  27 in-oz