Since this thread has drifted into the future of RC RF, how about this scenario.

Eventually all the car guys will graduate to using 2.4G SS, (if not force them), thus allowing 75Mhz to be utilized for RC spread spectrum. Then allow the exclusive use to aircraft. If some old non compliant car radio happens to be in use it will still not cause a crash.

Steve Meyer
SOAR, LSF IV

At 05:41 PM 2/22/2006, Doug McLaren wrote:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:49:41PM -0800, Martin Usher wrote:

| Those rotary switches on the synth modules are not designed for
| continuous use. They're similar to the old circuit board mounted DIP
| switches (the ones that you had to flip with the tip of a pencil),
| they're great for occasional configuration changes but the contacts and
| detents wear out quite fast if you use them repeatedly

Not only that, but the Hitec Spectra module has the switches on the
inside -- so you have to remove the module from the radio for every
change, and it also encourages not actually looking at the dials and
just remembering what channel the radio is on.  Which is fine, as long
as your memory is perfect.  And the only person I know with a perfect
memory is my wife -- and even then it's only perfect for times when I
screwed up :)

And every time you remove the module, you risk breaking it, either the
plugs that it goes into, the clips that hold it in, or you could drop
it and break it that way.

At least the Futaba module for the 9C, while almost identical, has the
switches on the outside, so you can change and inspect them easily
without removing it.

And then the rotary switches are TINY.  It's very easy to make a
mistake there -- my eyes are reasonably good, and I have to double and
triple check my work there.

Personally, I'd much rather see the synthesized modules built in,
controlled via the computer radio interface itself, ideally with a
scanner.  The higher end radios seem to do it just fine, and even the
Polk Tracker radio has it, and for only $200.

The Futaba 14MZ -- doesn't it have some sort of 2.4 GHz setup to tell
the RX what 72 MHz channel to use?  (They call it `WFSS'.)  Talk about
a Rube-Goldberg machine -- it's like they got half of a spread
spectrum setup going, and then couldn't finish it or something.

I bought a pair of FRS transceivers (i.e. walkie talkies, 460 MHz or
so) recently at Fry's for $10 _for the pair_, with no rebate.  These
things each have a TX and a RX, and are fully synthesized and can do
all 14 channels with no crystal swapping.  You'd think *all* our R/C
gear would be synthesized by now.

Though what we *really* need is the successor to the Spektrum DX6,
with full range, at least 9 channels, and somewhat more programming
options.  (No exponential on the rudder?  What were they thinking?)
If they can get that out, it'll be like a license to print money for
them ...

And that's enough random `state of our radio systems' rants for now :)

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.