I just ordered a 1/3 scale all carbon, super stiff,
super heavy, OH MY GAWD gorgeous, DG800.... best
display of a molded scale ship I've ever seen. The
same one Mike Smith got. It's not exactly, uh... free.
But it is gorgeous. And with 5K plus radio floating
(or in this case) haulin' ass around the sky... I'll
be going with redundant systems.

I asked a fellow soaring geek who knows much more
about these types of systems than I. Here is his
reply:

"As far as batteries go, on anything with the room I
use dual packs of
the same cell count, two switches and plug into any
two open slots. If
no open slots, then I just use a "Y" to plug the
battery into one side
and whatever servo n the other side.

Depending on how much weight you need up front and the
available space
you can use Nicad or NiMH packs of anything between
1950 to 4000 mAh.

Don't get sucked into using battery backers or any
other just nonsense.
2 packs, 2 switches, plugged into the RX. Easy as pie,
plenty of
capacity and a redundant system.

The reason I like 2 pack set ups is the redundancy and
the fact that it
splits the load between the two packs. SO each sees
half the load or
current draw. Keeps voltage depression under high load
to a minimum. And
I like 2 switches since they are the cheapest POS we
use and they are
really the failure point that you are trying to
eliminate. On my TD
ships I don't even use them, that's how much I
distrust them.

Here's a good resource for dual pack set ups:

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/parallel.html "

See you guys at the aerotows... I'll be the one going
really really fast...

To see the model - go here. Not a great website, but
Thomas has been great to work with.

www.xl-sailplanes.com