I suppose you could say that two batteries in parallel are as good as whatever battery's the oldest / weakest. There's no point in doing this unless the batteries are identical (age as well as characteristics) and then all you're really doing is making one big battery -- that is, without some kind of isolation circuit you're not getting redundancy. (You're actually increasing the chances of failure because you're introducing extra places where things can go wrong.)

So Bill Swingle's right.......don't waste your time, just use one relatively new, good quality battery. The world won't end if you use two smaller ones but you won't gain anything except a false sense of security.

I wouldn't obsess over everything being brand new, though. Electronics failure rates are usually described as a 'bathtub' curve -- new stuff has a higher probability of failing for a short time, then everything's stable for quite a long time and finally things start to fail as they get to the end of their life. This curve is messed up these days because modern electronics is so well made that infant mortality is rare for consumer products but the principle is still valid. So I'd take a battery that's been used successfully over a couple of months over a new one any time.

(I'd be wary of switches, though -- the ones that you buy are pretty reliable (they actually have two sets of contacts) but they're still quite cheaply made. Its easy to buy good quality switches.)

Martin Usher