On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:08:42AM -0500, Rick Eckel wrote:

| Hmm.....  Of course this is true when all are speaking in the same
| frequency range.  But how about if all the other conversations are
| being held above 20khz or below 20hz??

Yes, whispered voices aren't the best analogy, as they all use the
same frequency range.  But consider somebody near you speaking in a
low voice, as you try to understand somebody far away speaking in a
high voice -- the low voice will make it harder to understand the
weaker high frequency voice.

However, in this case, the confusion happens in our brain, not our
ear.  Our ears really don't work that much like a typical radio
receiver.

| Does sheer power on other frequencies swamp the front end of a
| receiver?

Yes.

|  Shouldn't we see more evidence of this at the launch area?

The reason that we don't is that all the signals are of similar
strengths, since all the pilots are near to each other.

For desense to occur, the signals don't even have to be in the same
band.  For example, in my car the FM radio (88-108 MHz) signal gets
noticibly quieter when I transmit on my 144 MHZ ham radio.  However,
the effect is much much stronger when the signals are very close to
each other, as they would be with two R/C TX's, or a R/C TX and a
pager tower (possibly with hundreds of watts) also in the 72 MHz band.

Exactly how much a RX is affected by desense and how close the other
signal has to be depends on it's design.  Unfortunately, our gear is
generally made to be small and cheap, and so it's difficult to add too
much protection.

As for PPM vs. PCM, PCM uses exactly the same sort of RF stage as PPM
-- all that differs is what the signal looks like and how it's
decoded.  If you've lost control with PPM, you'll also have lost
control with PCM, it's just that PCM should handle the loss of control
better (going to failsafe or position hold rather than random
glitching.)

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
All theoretical chemistry is really physics; and all theoretical chemists