From: Doug McLaren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For desense to occur, the signals don't even have to be in the same
band.  For example, in my car the FM radio (88-108 MHz) signal gets
noticibly quieter when I transmit on my 144 MHZ ham radio.

Same thing happens in my car. It's almost certainly due to rectification of the
super-loud signal at an emitter-base diode somewhere in the IF strip, putting a
bias on the AGC line or biasing one of the transistors toward cutoff.