I was flying slope at Wilson Lake yesterday with some friends when we heard some birds squawking behind us. Looked up and saw a flock of Sandhill Cranes circling up in a booming thermal. Really neat to watch them get higher and higher without flapping their wings before they glide off into the distance looking for another thermal. Beautiful white birds with black feathers on the trailing edge of their wings. Anyone know how big they get?

We were able to fly out from the slope and get into the thermal they were in but, needless to say, they were much more efficient at working the lift than we were. :-p

Happy flying,

Jimmy