I have assembled and flown both Easy Star and Easy Glider (non-motorized
version) and recommend the Easy Star as a first plane to learn on.  It
glides very well and is much easier to handle and transport on the ground.

As was mentioned by Ed Anderson, Easy Glider does not penetrate well
unless it is ballasted and a hefty nose weight added.  I put 2 inch long
steel rod pieces in the spar tube and another couple of ounces in the nose
to make it penetrate on the slope.

For Easy Star, a beginner is likely to corkscrew the plane unwittingly.  I
helped a friend recover from one and the wing broke at the end of the
spar.  A length of fiberglass tape from the wing root to over the curved
wingtip edge solved this weakness.  I also like to dive the Easy Star full
throttle on a brushless motor and found the horizontal stab lose authority
in recovering from steep dives, resulting in my Easy Star taking a dunk in
the Han River of South Korea on more than 1 occasion.  This too was solved
by adding a length of fiberglass tape on the bottom surface of the
horizontal stab and the elevator.  One more modification for a beginner
Easy Star is to fix the wing to the fuse.  I found the wing roots get
loose after few insertions, removals and tumbles.  Of course, having a
minivan big enough to carry the fully assembled Easy Star is helpful too.
I get fine directional control with the stock rudder - just have to be
patient and wait for the plane to listen to your directional control input
or anticipate the necessary change in direction by a few seconds :)

Hee-Choon Sam Lee
Seoul, Korea
Member of RCCAFE, AMA 817622