I learned to fly RC in 1956 flying a Berkeley Bootstraps powered by an OK Cub 14 with a Lorenz two tube superregen receiver driving a Southwest Magnetic Actuator. Somehow the model survived until I got out of t he Air Force and I still have it.

When I resumed RC modeling in 1963, I became enamored with a gull wing power pod sailplane published in Flying Models. It was an unstable beast and frequently fell into an unrecoverable spiral dive. The club expert took the transmitter and said "Let me show you how to fly." He promptly spiraled it into the ground and handed the transmitter back to me without saying a word. I decided that I could design a better one so I did. The result was the Tern published in the May, 1967 RCM.

The Tern used a Controlaire 5 receiver and I retired it to hang from my shop ceiling when CB radio made the superregin receiver unusable. In 1970, I had replaced my first proportional radio system and was looking for something to do with the Microavonics radio. I remembered the fun I had searching for thermals with the Tern so I build another one large enough to house the giant Orbit servos and called it the Tern II. It originally had a Cox TD 09 in the nose. When we started using winches, the engine was replaced with a nose cone and a lot of lead to become my first true sailplane.

By 1974, the Tern had evolved to the Tern IV which won a first place trophy in Standard class and placed 8th overall at the SOAR Nats that year.

All of the models described here (except the unstable gull wing monster) still exist but not in flyable condition. The Tern IV could be refurbished but the wing spars aren't strong enough for modern winches. Ironically, the Tern IV is not eligible to fly in nostalgia even though it has a 1974 first place Nats trophy because it was never published or kitted.

Chuck Anderson