Gordy gets it part right (again).

The Hi Johnson trophy is an AMA award for the highest single score at
the Soaring Nats.  AMA used to run the events with all classes flown
each day (you built a 2M, 100" and an unlimited plane every day) and
flew a couple rounds of each class daily.  This resulted in each class
flying the same number of rounds, and the Hi Johnson awarded the single
highest point score of the classes.

With the advent of splitting the classes into day slots and the demise
of the 100" Standard Class, we are now able to fly more rounds of 2M
than Unlimited due to the difference in the number of pilots.

LSF approached AMA last week about how to go about changing the
criteria for the award to something more in keeping with the original
intent of the Hi Johnson trophy.  After a short conversation, a process
was adopted and I will draft a letter asking to revise the criteria so
the award is independent of the number of rounds flown in each class.

This was what I meant at the workers banquet when I said Daryl won the
last Hi Johnson 2M Award, not that anything was changing as relates to
2M at the Nats.

Tom Kallevang
Wheeling, IL
LSF President & Webmaster