I don't think that 2-meter is in jeopardy, though I would like to make a few points to reinforce it's importance in the overall soaring world:

1. This hobby needs more youth(s) to continue to grow.

2. Youths (and many new soarers) don't have the experience or the money to fly big ships.

3. Soaring is and will remain a hobby where competition is part and parcel of the experience.

4. 2-meter at the NATS allows those new fliers to compete at a national level in an event that they alone (and not their plane) are the determining factor.

Ed Wilson achieved something special this year: he mentored a young dude with a small ship (but big dreams) with the intention of taking him to the NATS. It's a great goal, and one that we think will keep Lee and others like him in this hobby. 2-meter at the NATS is the perfect event to show new fliers what soaring is all about.

Since we already have, and will hopefully continue to have, a 2-meter competition -- all we need is more Lee's, right? :)

--
ben wilson
louisville area soaring society